29.9.09

Spirit, an Art Show

Today I submitted pieces to my first non-school art show! The name and theme of the show is Spirit. Straight from the description:

Spirit is a juried art exhibit to be held October 23, 2009, inspired by the themes of transcendence, fullness, and connection. Artists are encouraged to explore these themes from any perspective (i.e. Spirit is not a Christian art show). Honesty is essential to any art worth producing in any medium and we desire to maintain an atmosphere where artists feel free to create honestly. Therefore, honesty dictates we should share our motives for, and beliefs about Spirit.

It's run by a nondenominational church in downtown Norfolk that runs 2 art shows a year, both of which though themed, are pretty open ended. One of the nice things about that for me is no pressure to create new art work specifically for the show. As much as I'd love to make new pieces for every art event that popped up, I simply don't have the time. Not to mention chances are that if I'm submitting work that I did a while ago, I did it purely for pleasure which means it most likely turn out quite. There's something about making art for myself that results in better work than initially making it for an assignment.

We were able to submit up to four pieces of any size & medium. My submissions are as follows:

angels
1. Angels Surround Us
My mother who has a love for Angels inspired this piece. Her house is filled with many pictures and figurines of various Angelic beings. When you’re there, you have the feeling of being surrounding by these Heavenly Beings. Even if she didn’t have these pieces, she still would strongly believe that Angels Surround Us.

angels
2. Ambiguous Spiritus
Cultures around the World have different ideas of what Spirits, Angels, & Deities look and act like. To me this Being represents the Spirit of Death, though some may see the Spirit of Life, Reincarnation, or Resurrection. Though I see one vision, I wanted to leave it open to other interpretations.

angels
3. To Connect
This Mosaic shows imagery of a supposed imaginary Being reaching out to a supposed ordinary butterfly. One of the meanings this piece holds for me is how simple it can be to reach out and form a connection with many various things. That connection can be with your soul, with nature, or with God.

4. Even Angels Fall
Silverpoint is such a delicate medium to work with; feathers are equally as delicate a subject to draw. Here I drew three various feathers as if falling from the Heavens. Angels are not always Angelic, there are many types, personalities, and even the best Angels can Fall.
angels

No comments:

Post a Comment