4.3.10

Bit of a Fraud... ? Questioning Artist's Statements

As previously stated I've been working on pieces for two upcoming art shows. I have 2 pieces done for one of them at least, I don't know if I shall have time for the other. Part of entering into the Renewal show (others I'm sure as well) is you need an artist's statement to go with each piece, explaining your inspiration behind it and how it fits the interpretation of the theme. I hope I'm not the only one who feels this way, but I cringe at the thought of writing these things. Let me share the one I created for my Phoenix collage:

When stars die the end is very violent and dramatic. The death of a star has cataclysmic affects. With out our Mother Star, the Sun, there would be no life. When it dies it will engulf the entire Solar System with it. That alone may seem despairing. The way I understand it, the way it was explained to me is, that when a star dies the chain reactions from its death causes chemical reactions that will inevitably cause a new star to form, eventually with new planets to form around it, essentially, new life is born. That to me is a beautiful and encouraging thought.

In all honesty, I could care less. I did it yes, to be in the show, but mostly because it was something I wanted to do, not for some phony ideals. I certainly don't like telling people what they think art should mean to them. Part of me feels like a fraud. I felt like that when I wrote that statement, I'll feel that way when I stand by my work during the show and tell people the meaning behind it. Yet part of me feels bad it doesn't really have any meaning. It seems that most art is created with a message behind it, and the artists often stand very strongly about the messages they hope to portray. Does this make me a shallow artist because I fake it? Or can I just be free to make art for the sake of making art? Whatever the case let me share my other piece, artist statement and all.





Statement:
This painting is actually a triptych which consists of 3, 10x10 canvas. Two at side by side, while one is situated in the middle, but above the first two, forming a sort of pyramid. Individually they make thoughtful little pieces, but put together in the manner spoken of above, the form a whole. Each separate painting is representative of either the sun, the moon, or the stars, with carefully chosen colors on each to represent day, night, and dawn/twilight. Over these individual scenes are various figures drawn in marker.
This painting is very symbolic. The sun, the moon, the stars. Day fading into night fading into day. It can represent seasons of the Earth, or the cycles of our lives. God gives us memories like Summertime, in the Winters of our lives. When I first contemplated on Renewal, this is what I thought of. I've personally had a very long Winter. Spring is coming at last.
I've included two pictures of this one so you can better see what I'm talking about. The first picture is the painting as a whole. The second one focuses on the three as individual pieces. Right now it's taped together on the back of it, but for for hanging purposes I'm going to have them connected by hanging wire so there's some space in between them.

No comments:

Post a Comment